Altaïr and the Assassins journey to their ceremonial proving ground to add another member to their Order. This arena is a large cave system near a lake with a sinkhole as its entrance; a wooden platform and crane have been erected over the abyss. As Altaïr approached, the other Assassins have already circled the entrance, as shown at left.
Al Mualim appeared at the top of a cliff overlooking the sinkhole and addressed the assembled Assassins.
The Order Edit
- Al Mualim: We come to this place as we have for hundreds of years, not in celebration nor in grief -- but in fortitude, as another student has proven worthy to honor our most sacred ritual.
A cage was lowered.
- Al Mualim: Who among us has not vanished into the darkness to conjure the demons inside? Who among us has not committed the act which binds us as brothers?
Altaïr was escorted out onto the wooden platform and secured within the cage.
- Al Mualim: We believe that only those who conquer themselves will see the light of day. Altaïr, it is time to join those who surround you now and understand that you are a worthy instrument for the Higher Cause. Understand that whatever decisions are made below cannot be taken back. This final act of loyalty will transform you into the inner circle. Descend alone, Altaïr, and rise our brother.
Altaïr was lowered into the caverns and exited the cage. The first area was a large cavern with many stalagmites and stalactites. Light shone through the cavern in bright shafts, piercing the darkness. As he passed through the caverns, he encountered many trials, such as unsteady rocks perched on stalagmites, narrow ledges, waterfalls, a climb along stalactites, and a climb that others had failed before him. His final test was a path made of flattened stalagmites, which he passed flawlessly, Al Mualim's words still ringing in his ears.
Altaïr emerged into a small cavern lit by a single, overhead source, feathers falling around him. Pulling a white cloth off the pedestal in the center of the room, Altaïr found his Hidden Blade. A Mistress Assassin appeared behind him, wearing the same robes as Al Mualim.
- Mistress Assassin: You have done well, Altaïr, yet agility and strength alone cannot earn you the coveted title of Hashshashin. Preserving the foundatiaons of our lineage requires more than the body can offer. It requires a demonstration of the mind's will, a sacrifice. A willing act of faith is all that is required to take the final step.
She attached the hidden blade to Altaïr's left arm.
- Mistress Assassin: Reach out, Altaïr and claim destiny with your own hands.
Among the BrethrenEdit
Hidden Blade on his arm, Altaïr reached out and grabbed a feather falling from the ceiling. As he did so, the blade severed his left ring finger at the first knuckle. Satisfied with his contribution, the Mistress Assassin used a firestarter concealed where a Hidden Blade normally would be to light an oil fire. The light illuminated a smooth stone wall emblazoned with the bloody handprints of Assassins.
- Mistress Assassin: Now, join your brethren and leave your mark as others have done for hundreds of years.
Altaïr reached past the flames and placed his hand upon the wall, leaving a bloodied handprint behind.
- Mistress Assassin: Go now, Altaïr, and experience what your name truly means.
Altaïr ran from the cavern along a ledge emerging from a sheer cliff-face. He grabbed a red sash he would later wear and performed a Leap of Faith into a lake below the cliff.
Creation and Critical AcclaimEdit
Assassin's Creed: Initiation was created by TheDuoGroup as a promotional video for the Assassin's Creed universe, though in an unofficial capacity. The production was documented on TheDuoGroup's website. Receiving a strong fan following through its release on YouTube, Initiation was promoted by the Ubisoft Assassin's Creed II Blog, praised as an amazing work by the fan community.
- Assassin's Creed: Ascendance makes use of the same narrative, graphical, and animation style as Initiation.
- TheDuoGroup was also responsible for the viral "We Know What We Are video shown on YouTube as another promo for Assassin's Creed.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found